Stressed? (Duh) - The Herbs You Should Be Taking Daily: ADAPTOGENS
Hi Friends! Happy Spring!
It's been a minute but I'm writing because there's a new-ish "superfood" group you need to know about, and chances are you haven't heard of them, or don't know how to pronounce them. So it's time for you to meet: ADAPTOGENS!!!
Adaptogens are a group of herbs that help your body adapt better to stress, restore balance, and build a reserve that to help the body better prepare for future stressors. These herbs have been around forever-ever, so even if they sound foreign or new, they're worth knowing about.
Here are some examples of what they are, and how they might help (research pulled from Maikanaherbs.com):
- Ashwagandha: used for insomnia, anxiety, fatigue, mood stability, and fertility. New research is showing that Ashwagandha can be beneficial for hypothyroidism.
- Astragulus: Major immune stimulator and energy tonic. Can benefit blood sugar and cardiovascular system.
- Schisandra Berries: Supports normal central nervous system functioning and, interestingly, can both calm and reduce anxiety while also promoting mental focus and clarity.
- Chaga mushroom: anti viral and anti inflammatory, can improve endurance.
- American Ginseng: Boosts physical strength and stamina. Supports mental alertness and memory. Good for exhaustion and vitality.
- Moringa: reduces inflammation and improve digestion. Also antibacterial.
- Rhodiola: Improves the brain’s ability to analyze, evaluate, calculate, and plan. Helps support stamina and endurance. Stimulates release of dopamine and serotonin and can be used as a mild antidepressant. Supports healthy immune system functioning, especially in athletes.
- Reishi Mushroom: offers immune and nervous system support, and ois called "the mushroom pf immortality"
The thing about adapotgens are that you have to take them daily to see the de-stressing benefits. Previously, you've had to buy each one individually, or might find they are crazy expensive (cough cough, moon juice).
SO i'm super excited to tell you about MAIKANA HERBS, a new company making adaptogen blends for energy, relaxation, and a delicious chai blend. In full disclosure, this is my sister Sarah, of Indigo Acu, collaboration with Maikana's founder Jamie- which makes it all the better as Sarah is an herbalist and both of them are extremely focused on quality and it tasting good too (thank god, trust me, i've tasted lots of dirt-esque adapatogens in the past!).
So if you're ready to stress less, or know someone in your life who is, today is launch day at Maikana, go pick up some adaptogen blends for yourself or someone you care about! I add them to my coffee, matcha tea or smoothies. YUM. Happy and CALM Spring, guys! xx