How To Live A Healthy Life & Keep A Social Life
Barre class vs. going to the bar, run club vs. new restaurants, date night vs. your healthy diet. NYC is a place of extremes, and we see it most of all in attempting to have a healthy life AND a social life. Luckily, you CAN have a balance between the two! Health and socializing are not mutually exclusive and you don’t need to have FOMO or be a hermit to be healthy.
I recently had the privilege of hosting a Say Hello Wellness event. It was a blast, I met the best people and got to talk about one of my favorite topics. Navigating how to live a healthy life and keep a social life has been my personal and professional mission for the past decade. I've self experimented for a long time and wanted to share a few of my findings with you!
These are my brief notes - you'll have to attend a session in the future to get all the deets!
1. Daily rituals are essential: First thing, I start the day with water x probiotic x omega 3 x vit D x ACV / tonic.
2. Work that water: if you ONLY do this one thing, you will be healthier than you were last week. General suggestion ~80+ oz water/day. 1:1 Water to Alcohol and always sip on tea daytime.
3. Ace your day time eating: If you know you’re going out at night, keep it clean during the day. No packaged junk. Large lunch & having real meals are KEY.
4. Pre-eat for the party: No showing up starving to dinner or a party. 100 calories earlier will save you hundreds later.
5. Plan ahead: Look at menus, ask what’s being served, make decisions ahead of time. The fewer spontaneous food decisions, the better.
6. Choose your vice & treat meals: At Foodtrainers, we say “2 of 4 and no more” (1 of 4 if weight loss is a goal). Choose 2: the bread bowl, booze, dinner carb, or dessert.
7. When it comes to drinking, name your number: Choose your magic number and stick to it. AND NO DRUNCHIES!
8. Homemade days: meals out have more calories & oil & salt & gnarly ingredients. Carve out a few homemade days (and sober days).
9. Sweat it out: 180-200 min/week cardio + Yoga.
10. Sleep is your secret weapon. 7-8 hr/night. No screens near your bed!
· Meditation! We are constantly burning the candle at both ends and increases in cortisol leave us stressed and fried. Meditation is an actual cure. I love classes at MNDFL
· Finetune your friendships! Choose friendships that are healthy, that dont sabotage you. Start doing healthy things with your friends instead of drinking or meals out. I love going to spin, meditation, or going for a walk with friends. And if they're toxic... cut em out! But that's for another post :)
· Oh and shout out to Milk Thistle (a liver detoxifying supplement) for being a great hangover helper and liver protector!
· Try FitVine wine - with only 0.09g of sugar per glass, this additive & pesticide free wine is my recent go to. Their Sauvignon Blanc is my fave.
Thanks guys for coming out! Any tips I missed that help you keep it healthy?